- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. honey
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 1 1″ piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1½ lb. medium carrots, scrubbed, halved lengthwise, tops trimmed to about 1″
- Kosher salt
- 2 avocados, cut into large pieces
- ½ cup mint leaves
- Prepare a grill for medium heat. Toast cumin seeds in a dry small skillet over medium heat, tossing often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Let cool.
- Coarsely crush cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle or with the flat side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a large bowl. Add lemon juice and honey. Whisk in ¼ cup oil until combined, then stir in chile and ginger. Let sit until ready to serve, which will give the chile and ginger time to infuse into the sauce.
- Toss carrots with remaining 2 Tbsp. oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt. Grill carrots, turning occasionally, until lightly charred in spots and tender, 14–18 minutes. Immediately transfer carrots to bowl with sauce. Toss to coat; season with salt.
- Arrange avocado and carrots on a platter. Spoon any remaining sauce over, then top with mint. Serve carrots warm or at room temperature.